Saturday, September 13, 2014

Banned Book Week and Managing Projects




A failed attempt at organization
I would have to say the hardest thing about my job has been learning how to manage several things at once. I was having a hard time getting organized. My desk was a mess and I had been missing deadlines and meetings due to my lack of organizational skills. I attempted to fix this by making this project board.

Current Messy Desk #baneofmycareer
And reorganizing my desk. But right now it's still like this on a daily basis. I clean it and boom, super messy a little later. I've always been messy. And I wasn't drawn to librarianship because of the organizational aspect. I was drawn to it for the people aspect and empowerment of those without resources.
These past few weeks have put me in an absolute tizzy. I have been scrambling daily to finish something or another. I have come in on days off to finish something or to attend a meeting (I work Saturdays and therefore have a day off mid week). I have barely been able to keep my head above water. But the result has been great. I have been accomplishing things left and right and damn it if I don't look good.
Banned Book as a result, snuck up on me and scared the crap out of me more than the giant spiders they now have on display at Wal Mart AND the christmas trees on display at Sams Club. Scrambling was an understatement. But with the help and genius of my officemate, Danielle, we did some pre-Banned Book stuff at Student Rush. You can see that here.
Here are a few of my favorites:
Student Rush Free Lunch
Hungry



#metal will get you more likes automatically
This is just a prelude. We will have faculty and staff do a more polished version and make it into a Facebook campaign. They did that last year to great success. I am also doing small things around the library for informational purposes.

But it could have been much easier if I had been paying attention and had been organized. I have a feeling this will be the bane of my career. What do you do to stay organized?

Also update on my sash:
The Back

The Front

No comments:

Post a Comment