Friday, October 10, 2014

Week 3 Learning Theories

  1. Having absolutely no background in education has made this past week hard for me. I don't understand learning theories mostly because I see lesson/learners as spanning all the theories. The theory I feel would applicable to one-shot instruction would probably be:
Behaviorism.

Typically I think (in my very limited experience) that students learn a lot more when they break into groups and actually do research themselves. I don't have anything to back this up. 

This activity is very simply:
  • Show them quickly the bare bones of a couple of databases
  • Have them break into small groups usually 4 groups
    • One group gets PROQUEST
    • One group gets GOOGLE
    • One group get the CATALOG
    • One group gets Phone a Friend (like the Millionaire gameshow)
  • Give them 10-15 minutes to find an article that fits their assignment parameters
  • Have them present their findings or lack thereof

2. Motivation
I generally try to motivate my students to do this task seriously and efficiently by pointing out that they may actually find an article or piece of information that they can use for their assignment. So by doing this group activity they a) save time b) complete a task.
I believe this is the Expectancy-Value Theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment